A Blog by Rev. Grace Verrier
INSTRUCTIONS FOR WORKING WITH PUPPETS
- No elevator entrances or exits. I.e. they simulate walking up stairs
- Keep puppet’s mouth closed when not talking.
- Lip sync with the spoken part. Be sure to move the mouth on each syllable. Open the mouth when you speak – don’t close it.
- If you do not have rod arm puppets, use your own hands to move the puppet’s arms around. The kids really don’t notice your hands.
- Keep the puppet at right angles to the stage.
- Puppets always exaggerate their actions.
- Look for sewing talent in your own church. Our puppets were designed by someone in ours.
- Make them so babies’ clothing fits them.
- The puppet show is done live. A sheet with dialogue is pinned to the stage. In order to work the puppets effectively and read the dialogue at the same time it takes quite a bit of practice.
- It might be better at first if the show is adlibbed if your workers are able to take a subject and do this.
- Puppet shows can be pre-recorded with sound effects. The disadvantage is if something unplanned happens (i.e. a wig falls off a puppet) you must stop the show and start all over again.
- The best way to learn to operate a puppet is to do it for someone else. Ask them to tell you the things you are doing right and wrong.
- If you have puppets that appear regularly, give them a personality and stick with it.
1.Give each puppet a voice appropriate to the puppet.
- Watch kid’s shows for ideas.
- Get kids to ask God for a character puppet to come to Children’s Church. Give him a biography and say how he needs money to come. Receive an offering for it. (Children do not have much money but they know how to get it from their parents.)
- Write puppet skits for animal puppets.
- Use a puppet to give out a quiet seat prize (need a puppet with hands to do this).
- Get a puppet to do announcements.
- Puppets can do music.
- Bully puppet can tempt the kids to do wrong showing them peer pressure.
- Devil puppet tells kids not to give during offering.
- Use songs on tapes and puppets to sing them.